I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

24 January 2008

just sayin' ...

NOTE: For those of you that may be new to this space, this blog started out as a way for me to process and journal through my exploration of the Traditional Catholic faith. Ultimately, it's a path I chose not to go down, but found much in my exploration that I continue to value and treasure that has changed for the better the way I engage with God in prayer and in worship. I recently had to communicate to the priest who was leading me through the catechism that I would not be returning for further instruction, nor did I have the intent to convert.

This is something I had some measure of fear to declare, knowing what his thoughts would be when he became aware of my decision. It was Terri (love her!!) who first asked me the question I had not yet asked myself: what is it that you fear from this conversation? I realized that it boiled down to being afraid of what they'd think or what would be said of me to others. Like many people, I prefer that everyone who knows me would think well of me. Writing this forced me to embrace the truth that no matter what anyone else might think, my soul is firmly in the grip of my Heavenly Father.

The letter was mailed last week.



Dear Father,

I am sorry that I missed your call the other day. I succumbed to the flu over the weekend and had little in the way of a voice that day. I hope you will forgive me for not calling back, but at present, I think it best to express myself in writing.

First of all, I wish to thank you for taking time in your instruction with me and for our conversations on the phone as well. I have learned much over the past several months and have come to hold an increasingly deep appreciation for the Catholic Church: for its historical roots, for the profound and deeply-rooted beauty of the liturgy, for learning about the lives of saints I never knew before, and for so much more. The family at Holy Redeemer is such a precious, beautiful, and generous one.

That being said, I wanted to let you know that I will not be coming back. This is not a decision I made lightly, but I am certain it is the right one. While I respect that your convictions are to the contrary, I rest securely in the knowledge that my heart and soul are safe in the hands of God.

I could launch into pages of testimony regarding all the reasons as to the whys and the hows of my decision. I could go into detail about my prayers, my tears, and the nights of heartache. But I realize that even if I wrote some fifty pages more and laid out the best constructed arguments, it would be to no profitable end for either of us. I am reasonably certain my testimony would do nothing to convince you that I am not in error, that my faith is not as one-dimensional as a cartoon drawing.

Let it be said that I came to God with open hands and after a few months of stifling and suffocating it, an open heart. What freedom came when I remembered that my heart and my intellect need not be in such opposition to one another, that I need not be caught at the center of this self-imposed tug-of-war. As Solomon wrote, I learned and am continuing to learn to trust in the Lord with all my heart and not lean on my own understanding. I am utterly content to be His child, to know this perfect Love that casts out all fear, to abandon myself to Him wholly with all that I have, to know that I can neither contain nor define Him or subject Him to any limitations. I have trusted and am continuing to trust Him to lead me and am overwhelmed by the blessings He pours out on me. I know that I am at the center of His heart, and that He is evermore in the center of mine; I am swept up in the story He is telling.

I do mean it most sincerely when I say that I am thankful for the instruction I received and for the welcome I received at the parish; I was delighted to be included in that close-knit community for a time. And so I respectfully request that you accept my decision not to join the Catholic faith. I do respect your convictions, but cannot adopt them as my own.

17 comments:

christianne said...

Kirsten, you are so beautiful.

I am swept up in awe of your courage, your conviction, your articulation, your intelligence, and, of course, your heart. I love that I have borne witness to this journey from beginning to end (well, not that this is really an ending, more like a continuation on a path meant only for you). It has been such a privilege to watch this journey unfold, first as a bystander and mere witness when you created this blog with closed comments, and then even closer to you in the process as we began corresponding more deeply in emails.

I love your beautiful heart. I love your precious soul. I am over the moon :) with your spirit. I deeply respect your mind.

It is a privilege to call you friend in the deepest sense of the word. And I am proud of you for being you, something no one else can be for you. And so, so proud of you for taking this step with what must have felt like tremulous fear yet deep conviction and integrity.

I love you. God bless you this night.

Nathan said...

Kirsten,

Courageously written. Graciously said. My respect for you keeps growing. Glad we're friends.

kirsten said...

Christianne -- I cannot begin to tell you how much I needed these words of yours tonight. Today I have been wrapping myself around grief over a thing long done & forgiven, but has snuck up on me & won't let me go.

Your words are a balm to me and remind me that this journey of mine, when taken in its whole broad scheme (as opposed to singular or minute events), all lead me toward the place where God wants me to be. That I am not as one-dimensional and screwed up as I feel this night.

This was a step I was afraid to make, and didn't realize how afraid I was to make the declaration until I saw the phone number pop up on my caller ID. It feels good to embrace the truth that I am His in total, to make it known that I need offerr no defense for my decision, because I know that I am hidden in Him.

I love you, too. I want to wrap my arms around you this minute and lose myself in it. Love & blessing & peace to you, my friend.

Nate -- I will mirror your words to me back to you. I am proud to call you friend. Your words are courageous & gracious, and inspire the same in me. I have so much respect for your intelligence, your humor, your raw honesty, your deep, deep heart for understanding and walking alongside others.

It's largely because of the relationships I've built in this space that I am given the courage to write things like this letter. Thanks for being a part of that. Know that you are.

christianne said...

Oh, my friend, my sweet. I felt my heart pucker at the words of your grief. It pained me to hear it. I wished I were closer. I'm glad I will be soon.

But still. To be stricken with something you thought was long gone (and forgiven, no less) . . . I know that feeling. I don't know your particular grief right now, but I feel you, and I know those feelings are so scary and confusing and wretched, and they have the capacity to make us feel so, so stuck.

You are right, my girl. You are not the conclusion of one moment. No single instance in time can define the sum of you. As you shared so fittingly in your latest e-mail to me, life is not about having or arriving at all the answers; it's about the learning, the refining, and the continual moving forward as we take new experiences into ourself and learn forward. It is about who we are continually becoming, not what we ought to be or should have been.

I can also imagine the heart-pound and heart-stop that happened when you saw that name pop up on your phone. Yikes! Gulp! I'm not ready for this! What would I even say?! This isn't how I wanted it to happen!

I love that you chose to respond in the way you were ready to so that you could say the things you needed to say (and so graciously, too) in the way you needed to say them. I really had a sense as I was reading that letter that you were truly owning your truth, embracing your personhood, and allowing that to be fully enveloped in God's grace and truth in your story.

And, I meant to say earlier: thank you for sharing this letter with us. It's an intimate part of your story here, and it says much about your trust in this community to share it.

terri said...

I'm honestly feeling so heavy to know that you are this grief-stricken. I want to say something to make it go away (maybe tell you some of the jokes God used to tell me) but I feel you. Know that our hearts are joined somehow and your suffering is a shared suffering. We'll keep you company.

And I'm so proud of you little sister. That letter...amazing.

kirsten said...

Christianne -- I don't know how it happens, but I can feel your arms around me even though they are about 3,000 miles away right now. I smile knowing that in a few short days, they will be that much closer. I love knowing that.

The learning and moving and refining is so hard to move through sometimes. I think it's about really exercising trust, not just talking about it. Trusting God through these dark moments when lies and sadness and despair creep in and try to dry up the fertile soil of our souls.

Thanks for saying what you did about my letter. It felt so natural to share it in this space, wrapping up a loose end, making a declaration that marks my moving forward. Terri really helped me think and move through what I needed to do, what I hoped to accomplish with my communication. I can't tell you how amazing it was to me that, having crossed paths barely a month ago, I knew that I could reach out to her and say, "Could we talk?!" and that she was more than willing to help me sift through the tangle of things going on in my heart & in my head.

I don't know if I'd be in this place without the help of this little band of blogging friends that have gathered around me so faithfully in this space. You, my friend, are a soft place to fall. I cannot even begin to share how much you encourage me, how much I crave the words you bring, knowing that you are a mouthpiece for God.f

Thanks for making yourself available to that.

Terri -- Wow. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again. You really helped me refine what I wanted and needed to say and how I wanted to say it. You helped me keep a balanced perspective in mind and helped me to focus my thoughts and intents in writing this. It seems only appropriate that I share it here as I learn to open my heart, to move forward on this path I'm on, learning and moving and surrendering myself to this refining process.

And thank you for not only telling me I'm not alone, but for making me feel like it too. It's so strange to me that these connections are so deep and real but have been developed largely over these cyber connections. It seems so unlikely & miraculous. And I know I can say that I'm feeling all these awful things and that it's okay for me to be that way; that I don't have to put on a smiley face or put on a polished appearance. That I can be like this & just know down deep that you are going to love me and be with me in this anyway.

So glad to be here with you, together & in the thick of it.

terri said...

oh sister, let's be honest...you already knew what to say by the time we connected on the phone. you have a lot more wisdom than you give yourself credit for. PLUS you'd already talked to your mom who basically said the same thing I did if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, I'm glad to have been a sounding board and maybe to have given you permission to do what needed to be done even though some people might think bad ugly untrue things about you. It's OK.

And even if all of us went away (not going to happen) you could never be alone.

kirsten said...

Maybe you can't see it, Terri, but I'm giving you a hug all the way from Washington. As I was talking to God this morning, I was thanking Him for the three people in particular who seem to join me most often & most meaningfully in this space. Thinking how this is how we know who God is: this reaching out, extending love, accepting it when its offered, clinging to the vision that others offer when I just can't seem to see straight.

If someone were to ask me how I know that God is gracious, loving, and kind, all I'd have to do is point at Terri, Christianne, & Nathan. There are others I could add to that too, but I find that to be particularly poignant with me and true this morning. I went to bed not feeling so scummy because of those who banded around me & encouraged me in this space.

And yeah, the letter. I think I knew all along too. My Mom (wise woman that she is) and you both gave me that boost, that bit of permission I needed to say what needed to be said, to claim as true God's saving & sanctifying grace for me.

Can I just be the broken record and say one more time how incredibly thankful I am that we have all found one another?? :o)

Nathan said...

I'm thankful too.

Suz. said...

Well articulated, Kirsten. Thank you for having the courage to share this part of your story. Be encouraged, friend! I think the stepping out you have done of late is making you stronger and stronger!

Sarah said...

What an amazing letter! You are so clear and you manage to be gentle and solid at the same time.

You've walked such a twisty path recently, and you've done it with grace and beauty.

Anonymous said...

Kirsten,
so much going on here that is worthy of respect. May the Force be with you....

Anonymous said...

Terri
I left you a comment on my blog, it was silly and I wanted to respect Kirsten's serious blog here.

kirsten said...

Suz -- Thank you for your kind words. It has been a difficult and tenuous path to walk, but I feel light & love like none other on this side of it.

Sarah -- Wow. Thank you. I cannot think of a higher compliment. What you described is exactly what I was aiming for with this letter: gentle & respectful, but also markedly clear and direct. It is good to be able to say these things, to know they are true; it is good to know I do not need to posture or defend myself.

Tammy -- Thanks, sister!! It's good to be able to put this out in the world & make that declaration.

L.L. Barkat said...

Who knows why we journey down certain paths? Sometimes it is for our own souls, sometimes for the souls of others, sometimes both. In any case, I'm glad you've kept walking in openness and graciousness.

ilse said...

Wow - sometimes when i read the comments on your blog, I feel inadequate as a writer, as a speaker. All of what you and your close friends say are so moving, and so often I wish I could put words to what I'm thinking/feeling, yet I don't. I don't know if its because I don't know how or that I am afraid of what might come out when I do. I do fear the unknown, and thus, I often tend to avoid it, choosing to stick to the familiar instead. But your blog, as well as your friend's comments, have made me realize that stepping out into the unknown world of my thoughts/feelings and the words that go with them is something that can bring great strength and joy.

I don't think I will ever be as graceful with words as you are, but it is inspiring to me to know that it isn't about the end result.

Thank you for your words.

kirsten said...

Oh, Ilse. Thank you for sharing your heart here. I think you express yourself so well ... when you leave I comment in any of these spaces, I know that you are fully present & sharing from the fullness of your heart. And that means more to me than you can know. I think you express yourself so well & have so much to offer & to add to these conversations. And sometimes, words just fall short of conveying all the thoughts and motions of our minds & hearts.

Thank you so much for your care & your prayers, for walking alongside me and loving me through all of this.