I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

21 September 2008

renewing my mind

I'm not quite done with our friend Job just yet, but I wanted interrupt our regularly scheduled posting to share with you a class that Kaari and I are taking at our church right now called The Truth Project.

The Truth Project is a 13-week video/discussion series which looks at some of the biggest and most basic questions facing us as human beings living in a world of competing philosophies and worldviews, a world that is increasingly antagonistic to God. The course is led by Del Tackett, an engaging, intelligent, and gracious instructor.

This series asks some big questions: What is truth? What do I believe? How do I know that what I believe is really real?

Here's a teaser:



What I love about this course is that it's not about rote memorization or learning the answers to get a good grade on a test. It's about inviting the kind of inner transformation that can only come about by the renewing of the mind.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Silly blogger...deleted my comment. Anyway, I'm so glad you're going to get to do this. It seems right up your alley--the not being force-fed opinions but getting to ask good questions and formulate answers stuff...awesome.

kirsten said...

argh. i hate it when blogger does that!!

it's really fun, sarah, especially for torrey-trained minds like ours. the only sad thing is that there' barely any discussion time after that video is over (just 15-20 minutes for a group of 30-40 people!!). in any case, it's an excellent series & really gets the wheels in the noggin cranking.

:o)

L.L. Barkat said...

Funny, on the train to Marseilles, my Little One was writing all kinds of thoughts. At one point, she wrote, "Where does truth lead?" Then she mapped it to all kinds of things like "discovery", "questions", "ideas". It was cute. And perhaps profound.