I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

15 January 2008

gratitude, refreshed

At last, I am emerging from the flu that has had a hold on me since Saturday. It is easier to get up and move, to stand in the shower, to make my way up the stairs. I am remembering what my home looks like from vantage points other than my couch. Today I am wearing something other than pajamas (which by all accounts have seen better days after being worn for 72 hours straight); today I washed my hair, put on mascara, made my bed. My movements are slow and deliberate, and I am grateful for the simple movement.

In a way, I am actually thankful I got sick; I am amazed at how resilient my body is and how much it has put up with over the last six months (over the past two years really, if all the gastrointestinal drama is factored in). I was overdue for a concentrated period of rest.

Though this illness spanned a mere two or three days, it felt like an eternity. My head throbbed and pounded, felt like it was going to split open like a ripe melon. Every bone in my body ached. My sinuses were staging their own protest and more than once, I was fairly certain my lungs were making an attempt to jump ship. My appetite for food had all but disappeared; every attempt to get up from the couch required that I concentrate on suppressing the overwhelming waves of nausea.

Today, I woke to a world where I could breathe through both nostrils and stand upright without visceral protest. My lungs have calmed down and it no longer feels as though someone is taking hammer and awl to my head. I just managed to enjoy a cup of steaming split pea soup. I folded laundry today and put it away, I caught up on some long-overdue ironing. Quite rightly, the sun is shining out my window. Does it get more glorious than this?

Some might express a difference of opinion, but few things give me as stark an appreciation for wellness as illness does. When accustomed to good health, it becomes easy to take it for granted, to forget what extraordinary gift is is to move, to breathe, to consume a meal. Likewise, few things make me fall to my knees with gratitude like remembering I have been set free of my chains and now reside safely in the shadow of His wing.

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, amazing grace
~Chris Tomlin, Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)

Language will always fall short where expressions of gratitude toward God are concerned; knowing that, this is my small way of remembering and saying thank you.

11 comments:

Suz. said...

oh dear! i know how it feels. and there is such a gratefulnees for "wellness" once you've passed through the sicky stage. Continue to get well.

kirsten said...

Thank you, dear Suz!! How sweet rest is, and wellness is sweeter still!! :o)

terri said...

I'm so glad you're better today. Take advantage of the rest, my friend.

Nathan said...

Glad you're feeling better and the sun is shining on you.

Rebecca said...

Kirsten, I've never heard that song, but the lyrics are beautiful and, by golly, I think I might just jump on iTunes and buy it. Truly, nothing is able to express my thoughts as well as beautifully written music (whether or not it has words).

Love and best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

kirsten said...

thanks a million, terri. really. i am resting up [i am 30 now & i need it!!] ;o)

thank you nathan. it hard for overachievers like myself to be sick, especially when in that gray area between illness & wellness. my arm has been twisted & am staying home & resting another day.

rebecca - that version of the traditional hymn is so moving!! chris tomlin is the contemporary worship-song genius (clearly blessed by God in that regard!!). i hope you enjoy. you can catch a lot of his songs on youtube, too. ;o)

christianne said...

Hooray!!! So glad you're feeling better. And I'm SO glad you have stayed home in the safety of your pj's and on the couch for the past three days, instead of forcing yourself to work. (Sounds like you couldn't have forced it if you tried, huh?)

That Chris Tomlin song is one of my faves of his (though, of course, like you said, he is a genius of the musical kind and has amazing songs all over the place). Your quote of this refrain got me singing it in my heart, and soon I'll be singing it real loud around the house and all day long! It has that kind of effect on me. :)

Love to you, my much feeling better friend!

Sarah said...

So glad you're feeling better. I'm moved to say something, but I'm not quite sure what, so this will suffice for now.

I also love that song. I struggle to resonate with some worship music but that one almost always moves me. It's like I can feel love and mercy pouring over my shoulders like torrential rain would.

kirsten said...

Thank you, Sarah. And I know what you mean about worship music. When I was looking up these particular lyrics, I was surprised to find how many of my favorite worship songs were penned by Chris Tomlin.

Christin said...

You move me, Kirsten. I have been remiss in staying out of blogworld for awhile, and have just finished reading through all you have written in the last several months. I have sat on the edge of my seat (sometimes quite literally), straining with you, rejoicing with you. I thank God in every remembrance of you. I love you, my precious friend. You bless me. I look forward to talking with you.

L.L. Barkat said...

Rest finds us when it wants to, doesn't it?

I'm glad you found peace in it.