I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

13 January 2008

in medias res

I've been thinking a lot about the whole concept of story lately, both in terms of its power to move us beyond what the mere acquisition of information does, and as a way of understanding our roles in the grander scheme of all that God has planned in a very broad and eternal sense. Drilling down into the finer points of individual stories is vital; I think it could be said that the entire point of the gospel is compassion: both God's compassion toward us as manifested in the life of Christ and our compassion for other people regardless of any category or judgment we could assign them.

Compassion and story go hand in hand; unlike sympathy or even empathy, compassion means to suffer with someone (com- being a prefix meaning "with" or "together" , and the word pathos meaning "suffering"). Compassion requires the one who extends it to suffer alongside. And how are we to suffer with others unless we know the particulars of their stories: to know their wounds as we know our own, and to bear a burden of desire to relieve it? It's not a far stretch to conclude that Christ embodies this definition of suffering with in all its particulars, not only in His final and ultimate act of suffering, but also in the mundane: leaving the unimaginable splendor of heaven for the filth and stink and flesh of earth. God took on flesh and dirt under the fingernails, stomachaches and splinters, hunger and fatigue.

As someone who has only recently snapped the tether that held her heart, I can hardly be considered an authority in this regard. There is no soapbox for me to stand on or pulpit behind which I will posture myself. Perhaps it's because I'm feeling things so keenly and seeing them so freshly now that I've been blinded by the truth of it. The stone walls I hid behind are crumbled and still crumbling. As I walk through the ruins and kick these stones over, I consider how they performed a function I never consciously intended. No doubt they protected me from pain. But they also prevented me from being present for the pain of others. They walled me in, distant from joy and from full engagement in my own life. As a new friend recently stated, I was safe but ultimately unsatisfied. I was hedged in, protected against that which was bad or hurtful and also that which was good and joyful.

Relatively little is written about Christ's everyday life on earth, but I can imagine that not every day was one in which tables were turned, masses were fed from a sacklunch, or men were raised from the dead. Especially in the thirty years that preceded the advent of His active ministry, we can likely infer that there had to have been plenty of the mundane: meals around a shared table, stomachaches and headcolds, building tables and chairs, thatching rooves. Jesus came for that, too: He left heaven and emptied himself, taking on the form of a servant, subjecting Himself to our everyday -- in fact, to what is sometimes our mundane, mediocre, and quotidian existence.

It occurs to me that exercising compassion does not require that we go out of our way to seek out the person who is hurting the most, or that we attempt to insert ourselves into the stories unfolding in hospital rooms, prisons, or on the five o'clock news (though for some, it may very well include this). We are called, I believe, to come alongside those whose paths intersect with ours daily: co-workers, baristas, roommates, siblings, and spouses; to walk beside, to hold a hand, offer a shoulder, to be open arms. To listen, to ask, to laugh with. To offer what we have: an open door, a car, a shower, a bed; to get out of the way so the love of God can flow through us, inserting itself into our everydays and the everydays of those around us.

When we lock ourselves in that dragon-guarded castle, walling ourselves in as a spontaneous response to our own pain, we cut ourselves off not only from unwanted intrusions, but from love and goodness and laughter as well. We cut off the means by which we can offer ourselves to those who may be moving through the very pain we've reacted against. This is a response I know well. But now I've lowered the drawbridge, crossed the moat, and circle the stronghold I once called home. Looking away from my pile of stones, I discover a lush landscape teeming with life, a horizon that extends into eternity. This is where life is.

But as long as this remains a pretty philosophy, as long as my day-to-day interactions fail to mirror these words, they are only words hanging in space. Like the apostle Paul said:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

It does not matter what I know or what I write; it does not matter if I can wow a reader or impress a publisher or have a hundred by-lines to my credit. God cares more about me serving my roommates, listening to and assisting my co-workers, celebrating with my friends in their successes and crying with them in their heartaches. In short, He wants me to be a vessel for His compassion, to be the fitting word that agrees with the story He is telling.

Our stories matter individually, but more as threads woven into the great fabric of compassion and redemption that He has been weaving since time began. Our own stories begin in medias res in relation to His own, and we have the opportunity to echo this when we walk alongside others every day. Will I be the stray thread, or will I allow myself to be inserted into the fabric of a story He began so long ago?

9 comments:

christianne said...

Hi, sweet girl. I'm sorry to hear that the sniffles did catch you (saw your comment on Terri's blog). Sounds like you're resting, though, which is always good for the body when it is so worn down.

You know how I feel about story, and I really do think you and I have a lot more to learn about its power and role in our lives. So glad to hear your thoughts along this line as they work themselves out in your own story.

My apologies that I don't have many words today, friend. Feeling bereft and empty these 24 hours. Hoping to feel more myself tomorrow. Love to you.

PS: How are you enjoying the Cloister Walk so far?

Suz. said...

hello friend. this seems so spot-on. Good stuff.

terri said...

Kirsten, you certainly know that I am all over this with "amens". Your words on compassion, to suffer with...that is certainly the call of disciples. That is certainly the story of Jesus, the gospel. And it's so hard to let that in. To be present not only for my own suffering, but for the suffering of everyone around me. It can make you a little crazy and desperate. But it also is the only doorway to real joy. I commented over on Bella's post from today about how sadness and joy are necessarily tangled up and holding hands, inseparable. I really believe that's true. I comforts me when I'm feeling hopeless and sorrowful. I'm loving your story and I'm grateful to have such a good view of it as it unfolds.

Christianne: Feel better sister. Give me any feeling but emptiness...it's terrible. Bless you.

kirsten said...

Christianne -- I'm with Terri: give me any feeling but emptiness. I am sorry to hear it and hope the feeling evaporates soon. In the absence of the real thing, I give you a cyber-hug (which is probably better since I don't want you to become ill either!!) :o(

I, too, look forward to seeing how the power of story unfolds & blooms in our own lives.

I was just checking my symptoms on a medical website to check cold vs. flu symptoms. This is the flu. Argh. :o(

Love to you this night, dear sister.

Suz - So glad you found my little site here!! Thanks for visiting & for sharing.

Terri - Your thoughts here are so, so right. I am beginning to think that we must share a brain or something ... it is so difficult to be present for our own suffering or for the suffering of others when we've attempted to hedge ourselves in against it. It is so tempting to attmept to "fix" things even when we cannot. The pain & the joy are bedfellows ... you can't be open to one & closed off to the other, cannot be fully present in life when any of it is cut out. Doesn't work that way, sadly. And even the mundane everyday stuff ... blah. Give me something a little more exciting, please. Good & exciting, not that scary/dramatic kind. :o)

Yeah. It's good & exciting & not a little bit scary to watch this reality unfold in my own life, to see it go from a pretty theory to how I actually live.

Nathan said...

Kirsten,

You have so succinctly identified and describe the ministry of the Holy Spirit. When He comes along side us as the Comforter, He shares in our pathos. It is our duty – our privilege – to allow Him to comfort through us in our everyday lives as we come alongside our fellow brothers and sisters. Too often we look for something grandiose. But as Ed Cole once said, “If you look for the supernatural in the spectacular, you’ll miss the Holy Spirit.” What may appear mundane may really be magnificent ministry, if we just allow Jesus to live through us.

Sadly, the recent Church has grabbed hold of the forensic/didactic parts of Scripture as the sole means for spiritual instruction and growth. Narrative has been relegated to some second-class citizenry in the community of Christian discipline and development. They have created a canon within the canon, a text within a text. Somehow, didactic portions like Romans are esteemed above narrative like the Gospels and Acts in regards to forming doctrine and instructing the maturing Christian. Not only is this arrogantly arbitrary, but it is destructively deficient.

Narrative – story – is an essential, integral part of our Christian heritage. And it is vital to our present and future formation. Jesus used narrative as much as anyone I know to convey spiritual truths, so did Old Testament prophets. They did this because they understood that things like story, poetry, song and drama have the ability to subversively inject life-giving, transformative power into hardened, hurting broken vessels. Your insight and the way you deliver it in story form is a self-establishing point. Thanks for coming out of your stronghold to tell your tale. We’re all better for it.

Sarah said...

Heya. Since I'm also a story-girl, this was right up my alley.

There's something about 'being with' that makes me jump up and down and say, "Yes, Yes, Yes!!" It makes SENSE to me on a level that few things do.

I've mused recently that being with someone in their story is one of the best ways to honor them and their life. If every person has God's image in them, they deserve honor, and by being with them we acknowledge that and lift them up.
I don't know if that makes sense--I feel like it could use a lot more words to flesh it out. But your post brought it to me and I thought I'd share ;)

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hello for the first time, Kirsten! What you have written about . . . compassion, story, words, actions, coming along side, suffering with others . . . hinge, I believe, on the very thing that our Savior admonished us about when He said that loving God the Father and our neighbor is the nexus of all the law and the prophets. In this way, I do not share your thinking that the entire point of the Gospel is compassion. Rather, I think it is about love. About God Who is Love and His loving for, to and through us. I see compassion as being born from love. Because He loved us first, we are able to love, have compassion, tell our stories, receive the stories of others, undergird words with actions, come along side, and share in the suffering that is so rampant in the world and the body of Christ today. Like you, I am one who not only considers story and its power, but someone who also seeks out story and the presence of our Lord through them. I respect your humility when you say that you are not an authority in this regard and I respect your speaking from the places in your heart of question and answer anyway. We all see in part now . . . AND it is tremendous when, in the reality of this, we risk to share what that part is that we see. You may very well have the puzzle piece that someone else has been looking for. Thank you for writing so very honestly about pain and the deception of fig leaves . . .what you refered to as walls. Anything that we choose as a covering other than our Lord and Savior, reduces us to inmates in the worst sort of bondage and imprisonment. Jesus knew who His Father was and who He was in the Father. When we don't share this kind of knowing, we grope around in the dark for the nearest fig leaf or brick. I think that Jesus loved, fed, healed, delivered, taught, prayed, worshipped, resurrected life, and journeyed to the Cross out of this knowing. He did only what He saw the Father doing. His words were what He was given. I agree with you about the daily call in our immediate sphere of influence. What a gift! And O my, isn't that a great mission field? I am so grateful for the parable of the sower. For the truth of seed ....... t i m e . . . . . and harvest as we sit in the school of the Holy Spirit where we are taken from head knowledge to heart understanding to spirit-filled action. As I reflect on what you've written here, I believe that you are, indeed, a one-of-a-kind thread very much in the Weaver's hand . . . adding your necessary texture and vibrant color to a rare work of art. If I've gone on to excess, I ask for your grace.

Laure
www.whatichoosetoday.wordpress.com

kirsten said...

Nathan - how in the world did you get to be so smart? In the short time since our paths have crossed, I've been struck by the insights you've added into whatever space you visit, how adept you are at seeing below the surface of things.

I appreciate how you highlight the fact that Christ used narrative as His principal means of teaching, contrasting with how the current church tends to put its weight toward more abstract didactic teachings. I suppose we need both, but I think maybe that story is where life is lived and all that didactic instruction is lived out in the nitty-gritty.

Sarah - Yes, yes, yes, it does make sense!! As we're all image-bearers, I think we do honor God by coming alongside others in the midst of their own stories, no matter what those stories might be.

Hello Laure - Welcome to my space here! I think we are thinking along similar lines. Where the compassion/love distinction comes into play, I don't know if there is such a tremendous distinction; it seems to me that one cannot be separated from the other. I would not disagree at all that Love is primary in the gospel story, but that compassion is love made manifest. Possessing either one does not mean much if it is not lived out in the flesh & blood of our daily living. And that's what Christ did: He came & suffered with, moved by a burden of desire to give us a way in which we might still have union with Him. Anyway, I don't want to get hung up on the distinction. From what you described Love as, I do agree.

I agree with your point that hiding behind walls or fig leaves (an appropriate image!!) cuts us off from a ripe mission field; serving God need not be something gradiose. It really can be as simple as coming alongside those whose paths intersect with ours on a daily basis; being fully present and available, being that vessel through which the love of God can flow and reach others.

Thanks again for visiting.

L.L. Barkat said...

That's the odd thing about self-protection. It feels like we are saving ourselves... but for what? For a lonely, isolated existence. So we find we are not saved at all.

Thanks for this part of your story.