I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

29 March 2008

did somebody say it was spring?

Because I'm not convinced.

I suppose there are many areas of the country where it's normal to have snow this late in the year. Bellingham, Washington is not one of those places.

I suppose that strictly speaking, this is not about following Yahweh through the wilds of faith. But believe me, I was praying as I attempted to navigate my way home through the wild and wooly streets of Bellingham while simultaenously suppressing the urge to shake my fist and curse wildly at the heavens because I had to forgo my post-gym latte this morning. You just don't take chances with the snow around here, especially when you live at the top of a very large hill. And if you know me at all, I have all kinds of ire toward anything that would stand between me and my latte.

I was like a very cute, female version of Captain Ahab obsessed with his pursuit of the white whale: "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Yeah, it was something like that. So in some sense, it is a very spiritual matter indeed.

Enjoy the change of pace!! :o)




seasonal confusion photo by kirsten.michelle

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell hath no fury as a woman deprived of her latte? I don't do coffee, i hate it. So i guess i would say All hell will break loose when i am deprived of sleep for too long. This is serious Kirsten i would turn down sugar for sleep if that tells you anything. Ask Nate what kind of demon manifests when i go over 24 hours without sleep. It gets down right nasty. That is when i am overtaken by the spirit of ROAD RAGE. Ha (i'm not kidding)

terri said...

as a northern dweller, i know what you're talking about here. and it is spiritual. deeply. it's those moments when you doubt somewhere in your heart that God knew what he was doing. those moments when you suspect he's really just an absentee landlord letting the house get overrun with mice and sitting by while the plumbing leaks all over the place. at least these are the baser things that rise up in me when the world doesn't cooperate with my plans.

on another note...it sure was nice hearing your voice and seeing your beautiful back yard. it's easier to appreciate the beauty when it's not getting in the way of your caffeine fix. love you.

Marsyl said...

Kirsten - hello. We too are 'enjoying' the snow, but it leaves me so terribly restless to see little plant creatures popping up I don't even need caffiene. My main argument with snow is that I have to wear stuff on my feet, with socks too, no less.
Is Bellingham far from Spokane? Further north, perhaps?

Sarah said...

It won't let me watch your video ;( I'll try again later. But I know how the snow and darkness and the weight of it can be...I grew up with it. Loving you

Scott R. Davis said...

We did not get the promised accumulation of snow this weekend. But this winter we got rain instead.
Yes, at times I have deprived myself of cinnamon crunch bagels at Panera Bread when the buses have been running late. a 2 day absence of them.

Your snow in your yard did look quite nice.

enjoy your latte and your walk with Jesus. Now only if he turned that wine into latte.

kirsten said...

tammy - you said it, sister! hell hath no fury like kirsten deprived of her latte when she wants one! and i'll take your word on the road rage - i think i know you well enough by now to trust that!

terri - oh, you SOOOOOOO get this!! this morning i kept thinking, "it's march 29, for crying out loud!! it's march 29!! it's NOT supposed to be DOING THIS!!"

it is really beautiful when it snows & my backyard is gorgeous. not only did it keep me from my latte, but more importantly, it kept me from my latte date with a dear friend. bleh.

pentimento - hello, & welcome!! i agree, i'd much rather be soaking up the sun & walking barefoot through the grass myself.

oh, and spokane is about 360 miles south & east of us. bellingham is right on the pacific coast. ;o)

sarah - stinky that blogger won't let you watch the video; hopefully you'll find that it's 30 seconds well-spent!!

scott - my bro was kind enough to bring his poor caffeine-deprived sis a latte, so i was, in a manner of speaking, rescued!!

christianne said...

i liked that line of, 'take a look at this, kids.' heh. :)

dang, i can't believe what it's doing up there for you. i won't tell you what kind of week i had in CA, then . . .

Dean said...

You've obviously had enough but I couldn't help thinking that my kids would LOVE to go out in your back yard! Of course they haven't just been through months of winter. So here's hoping you get some sunshine and flowers soon.

terri said...

hey kirsten, just thought you'd like to know that we're getting slammed here with seven inches of snow. the nice thing this time of year is that most of it will be melted within 48 hours, but still! i called marcell this morning to ask how she was and she said, "ok, for a resident of HELL!" (marcell is pentimento and we work together.)

L.L. Barkat said...

That was funny, Kirsten. Which I guess says that there's room for amusement in our spiritual repertoire.

Nathan said...

Kirsten, looking at your video made me a lil jealous. Since I've lived in the south for some years now, I have really missed SNOW!

I know it can be annoying sometimes, but I honestly love the stuff. So many of my favorite childhood memories are attached to snow.

Anyway, our lil crew needs to get together in Aspen sometime when it has snowed heavily. We should all stay in this massive log cabin and drink lattes and other beverages as we sit around a blazing fireplace telling stories and catching up.

I am still trying to catch up with everyone's blogs, so give me grace and be patient. I need to call you sometime or vice versa. Kinda miss hearing your NE accent. :)