I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

22 March 2008

walking on water

Remember my dream -- that one in which I was getting bounced off the walls of my bedroom? It should hardly be surprising that I haven't forgotten it; it hovers very near the surface of my consciousness, especially as I'm going to bed.

Even in the midst of that dream, and especially in the day or two that followed, the word buffeted stuck out to me. I knew it was important that it was buffeted and not another word, and I wasn't immediately sure why. It's not a word that comprises a regular part of my vocabulary, nor is it one I normally think to use. So I did a search for it in Scripture; it is used just once in the Bible and only in one translation:

Matthew 14: 22-33 (NIV)


Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."


Whoa.

Having had some time to reflect on any number of possible implications, a few things stand out to me about this story:

Walking on water is impossible.
Peter walked out to Jesus from the boat on the water. Um yeah ... we can't do that. Have you ever tried? Peter got out of the boat in the middle of the frickin' lake! It strikes me that on the same night I had this dream, I voiced some concerns of mine to a friend about what I understood the Lord was asking of me; I confessed to her that I was overwhelmed and wondered aloud how any of it could be done. It seems impossible.

When Jesus shows up, the disciples are afraid.
The disciples' first response it is fear ("it's a ghost!") when they see Jesus out for a stroll on the choppy lake. He tells them, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." Doing impossible things is scary and overwhelming and yet sometimes, that is precisely what obedience entails: to trust that the impossible is possible when Christ commands it and when our eyes are on Him. I know what Christ is asking of me; I asked Him to show up and He did. And it freaked me out; it continues to freak me out.

It is the boat that is buffeted.
If you've got to be out on a choppy lake and the wind is against you, my bet is that you'd prefer the boat to bobbing around the lake alone without a boat, a life preserver, or water wings. Between the two, the boat is safer and more certain. When you've told the Lord you will and then He says, "Come", you cannot unhear that word. You step out from scary to scarier in order to get closer to where He is.

I suppose I could shrink back into the distance and pretend none of this ever happened, pretend that I didn't know precisely what He's called me toward. Pretend that that howling wind and the slapping water against the boat drowned out His words, like He never said that word at all.

But I did ask and He did say it. So it's time to get out of the boat.

Peter sinks when he pays attention to those things that aren't Jesus.
This is the point I often hear when this particular passage is exegeted. When Peter pays attention to the wind and the waves, he starts to sink and cries out for rescue. And Jesus rescues Him, asking Peter why he ever doubted. Perhaps it sounds pithy and trite to say keep your eyes on Jesus, but that's what it boils down to at the end of the day, doesn't it? Don't pay attention to the distractions, the things that oppose you, or even the work itself; pay attention to Jesus: lock His gaze and keep walking toward Him.

I cannot let myself focus on the work or those things that would pull me away from it. He asked and He's waiting, not moving, a point of stillness and silence amidst the cacophony (what will you say? how will you say it? what gives you authority to speak to this? how will you ever get published?). It is I who must move toward Him. His eyes lock with mine and I walk toward the gaze I am beginning to know and trust while the wind blows against me and the waves crash around me; knowing that I can only walk this impossible ground because He said Come.

What truth do you see in this passage, friends? Anything in particular stand out to you?

8 comments:

Dean said...

Wow! You really are multi-talented. I'll think on it and get back to you.

Take care of yourself.

Sarah said...

You pretty much said this, but what stands out for me is that Peter GOT OUT OF THE BOAT. Who FRAKKIN' DOES THAT? Hello...it's not like he's walking on water across a nice, smooth sea, which is impossible enough. It's storming up...well, a STORM...and he gets out of the boat. So what stands out to me is that Jesus doesn't always call us to things that make sense. Sometimes, he calls us to the incredible, the ridiculous, the stupid-looking. And they would be all of those things, if he wasn't there. But his presence changes all of that--makes the incredible credible, the ridiculous sensible, and the stupid intelligent. It seems to be that sort of thing that he's calling you to, friend...

I read what I wrote here and it doesn't sound very gentle, very loving. And in some ways, it's not. It's real and earthy (watery?) and frought (sp?) with peril. But he's there...and so the ungentle is gentled.

I love you and your heart that is bold enough to GET OUT OF THE FREAKING BOAT. Because you have, you know. Mt. Hermon, book proposals, all of that.

Scott R. Davis said...

when I think of the waves crashing, my mind goes back to the feb 4th poem that you wrote of God being like tidal. Of being a strong force that can swallow boats whole and can be of a strong force. It brings in the pieces of boats that have broken forth. remember God's strength brought Jesus from the dead out of the tomb in Houdini fashion. Him breaking open the restraints that kept Him bound to free all of us.


a powerful rush heard at night and a quiet rush that came into the world at Christmas yet powerfully is changing lives many anniversaries of Easters ago. May you be blessed with your encounters with the King. And it is a blessing to be worshipping the king while at the seashore.

christianne said...

girl, your thoughts on this passage are so succint and thoughtful and amazing. i felt like i was receiving a sermon you were giving! :)

again, so proud of you for getting out of the boat. it's scary! but that's where jesus is . . . and besides, he's the one calling you to come to him. he's ready and waiting for you with his hand outstretched to take yours.

di said...

kirsten, we just started reading John Ortberg "If You Want To Walk On Water, You've Got To Get Out Of The Boat" and will be on the look out for any new perspectives on this passage.

"Take Courage" always stands out to me and reminds me there is so much that dis-courages and if we "take courage" and encourage...we can stand firm and lift each other up.

Discerning His call and being focused on what is needed, wanted, required, in this moment....that sticks out to me. Often we get ahead of ourself and worry about tomorrow and that can be discouraging. Take courage, stay present, be all here now fixed on what today entails.

i'm off to go spend time with my niece...will try to practice what I preach (:

terri said...

i've been learning a little bit about the value of recognizing that "I CAN'T DO THIS" so that God can do what only God can do. i usually try for a long time to just do it on my own and don't really get the hint that it's impossible until my lungs are full of water and i'm tangled up in the seaweed.

God better be real, that's all i have to say...

kirsten said...

thank you for sharing your thoughts, all. i appreciate your reflections & insights. i will hold them close to my heart.

Caleb said...

As I sit here thinking about this I sympathize with poor Peter as he slips into the water and feels it starting pull him in! I'm also in awe of him to go against everything in his instinctive nature and go over the side of the boat. I'd like to say that I would but I can't say for sure.

A friend and I were talking about what it must have been like for those first disciples to follow that son of God. IF you were one of them could you even wrap your mind around what you were a part of? I'm not sure that I could. I'm so impressed by your faith and excited about your life changing adventure!