I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

26 April 2008

breathing into it

Last weekend my friend Elyse drove up for a visit. On Saturday we worked out at the gym, went to coffee, and went to church. On Sunday, we were very intentional about observing the injunction to rest on the Sabbath: we got 90-minute Swedish massages at my favorite local spa.

And yes, it was as every bit as blissful as it sounds.

After allowing our pores to drink in the gauzy warmth of the eucalyptus steam room, we went out to the waiting area where our massage therapists would meet us. Wrapped in thick and heavy white spa robes, we each sat in the waiting area with windows overlooking the cold and quiet bay, fingers wrapped tightly around our steaming mugs of herbal tea, a fire crackling at our backs.

My massage began with me face down on the heated table in a barely lit room, my arms relaxed and resting on the table against my body. A pan flute’s hollow notes were playing softly through speakers I could not see. It wasn’t long before I felt myself melt into the table.

The therapist began working at my legs and feet, rotating my ankles and using her hands to encourage looseness in my tight calves. She rubbed out each toe, pulling gently on each one. My stiff neck gave way under her persistent manipulations and finally consented to unclenching. Arms and hands received special attention as she rotated each of my arms from the shoulder and my hands from the wrists. I felt myself teeter on the edge of oblivion when my scalp and face were the focus of her attention.

Every cell in my body tingled with delight. I pulled in breaths through my nostrils that reached down to the ends of my toes and finger tips. I was limp like a well-cooked noodle, feeling heady and light, suspended and floating in thick fluid.

I first started receiving massages as part of my therapy following a car accident in 1996. My soft tissue injuries were extensive enough that multiple doctors told me I would have had an easier recovery had I broken my back. Those sessions with Julie were helpful, but hardly enjoyable in the way most people think massages should be. My muscles were constantly clenched and pulsating, throbbing, clinging to pockets of lactic acid. This went on for several months.

Julie went away to Chicago for a few weeks to get married, but referred me to another LMP to provide my treatment in her absence. As I lay on the table on my back eyes wide open and staring intently at the ceiling, the new therapist observed, “Yeah, Julie said you had a hard time letting go.”

It was the first time I had heard that. It was the first time I began to understand that I was hanging onto my injury every bit as much as it was hanging onto me. I would stare at that ceiling above me and disconnect; I would count its dots, study its texture, get lost in a deep white sea of blankness. I would do anything but focus on my clenching muscles, those pained and injured soft tissues. This new therapist encouraged me to close my eyes, to breathe deeply, to feel everything in my body, and to let it go.

It was in yoga that I first learned about how to bring the mind and the body together. This, my instructor often repeated, was primarily about focusing on your breath: being deliberate about drawing each breath in, pulling it down to your heels and up through your scalp; drawing the breath in deeply so every cell is infused with its life. It was about letting it go slowly, being intentional in its release, pushing out waste from every cell.

I always think of this when I get a massage: about the injunction to breathe deeply, to be intentional and aware, mindfully engaged. I can choose to stare at the ceiling and make an expert study of its texture, or I can surrender to the touch of the professional: let her rub out the knots and coax the sore spots to release. I can feel those points that wince when touched, trusting that the future benefits of letting go and breathing into those places exceed the present pain as she pokes, pushes, pulls. I can resist the movement she imposes on my arms, legs, and joints, or I can surrender: allow her to be the one dictating the motion of my limbs. I can clench, hang on, resist. This is what comes naturally. Or I can release and surrender, participate in the work she is doing: feel each manipulation and invite it in with each inhale. Giving over this control is not natural to me and requires consistent and conscious effort.

I am thinking of this these often days as memory reaches into my present, as God simultaneously puts his finger on sore and tender places, pressing and digging deeply with His fingers. I wince at His touch and my first inclination is to resist, to stare at the ceiling and disconnect, to bide my time until it is over. To be intentional only in forgetting. But I am especially mindful now that I must feel where He presses, trusting the work He does is good, knowing that He is working on rubbing out those toxic and tender things to which I unconsciously cling.

So I am doing my best to breathe into it, taking capacious and deliberate gulps of clear air and holding them in. And then slowly, slowly, I let them go, feeling each sinew and fiber relax its grip a little more with each cycle of breath. He continues to press and rub and pull, coaxing release from tissues accustomed to holding tight. He is doing most of the work, but it is I who am sore and light-headed and tired. I might stay here for awhile yet, resting and breathing and surrendering until I no longer feel that I might topple should I rise and walk.

8 comments:

Caleb said...

It was well worth the wait my friend. As I stated this morning, it is a great analogy and I am glad to see something like this again in your blogs. I really enjoy these parts of every day life that speak to us so profoundly. I hope that you are having a great time worshipping our Father right now and look forward to talking to you soon.

christianne said...

kirsten,

i'll echo what caleb shared: it's great to see something like this again in your blogs. it breathes such life. it has that sustaining power i talked about in our storycorps interview and have told you again since then . . . that there is a sense in which i feed (am nourished, find sustenance) from your words.

i'm so glad you had this experience last weekend. can we go there together when i come visit you in bellingham someday?? :)

i can really relate to what you said about disconnecting from your body and just clenching yourself to get through it when you get a massage . . . or when things happen in life in general. i respond the same way, in both settings, actually. i love the encouragement you give to gently release, unclench, feel things, pay attention, and let go.

Scott R. Davis said...

Thanks for the great words of how you hang onto pain and then let it go. I tend to hang onto pain myself yet I need to trust myself to let it go to the hands of our Creator. And the statue of the saint Celia was great of her being in a stretched out massage position. this yoga/massage experience must have been one of surrender. May you be blessed in everything that you do these days.!!!!!

terri said...

kirsten, this is like a meditation. do you know that it is you, in this space, who is massaging out the knots in our minds and hearts? i hear your voice gently encouraging me to breathe into it, and i feel myself a little more able to trust the movements of God in me. thank you my friend.

L.L. Barkat said...

Letting go. Why do we fear it? What haunts us, troubles us, deceives us? Or is it that sometimes we must NOT let go and we find it hard to discern the proper time for clasping versus releasing?

I liked your description. Could feel, see the process.

kirsten said...

caleb - i'm glad you find resonance in the analogy too. God is a massage therapist. i think it hurts because we're wounded & broken and His touch reveals that, wants to dig deep into our tissues & cleanse us of that. never easy, is it? but we know that it hurts so good ... ;o)

christianne - when you & kirkum come to bellingham, massages at the chrysalis are most DEFINITELY on the agenda for us! a visit to b'ham would not be complete without a brief stay at the spa.

i'm glad the words here feed you & meet you where you're at. i wish i could adequately express how your own do the same for me! these words here are as much a constant reminder for me as they are wanting to share with my community what i'm learning & working on myself. i've looked back at this post a couple times & have sheepishly had to admit to myself, "oh yeah, that's what God is doing."

and yes on the disconnecting ... i'm still tempted to turn & run, to shut my mind off from those places God is touching. ouch!

scott - surrender & letting go is definitely something the saints & martyrs can teach us!

terri - we will breathe in & out together, breathing into it like one great big lamaze class as God births all these new things in us. we can remind each other: this is good. it will be okay.

l.l. - as always, you hit on something i had not considered myself: i'm reminded of ecclesiastes ... "a time to embrace, & a time to refrain from embracing", or perhaps a time to hang on & a time to let go.

it does seem strange that letting go should be so difficult. i think oftentimes we cling to the hanging on, to the knowing & understanding.

thank you for sharing this insight.

Jen said...

Kirsten,
You could conduct a childbirth class or coach a woman in labor! The same principles apply: working with your body, feeling, connecting, surrendering, embracing the pain, and breathing through it. Easy to understand the words; really hard to put into practice!

:o)

jcubsdad said...

I need a good massage, this week might be the week.

Having gone through the death of a close family member and all the stress and pain that comes with it, I have taken solace in contemplating heaven. I do not know why exactly, but it is relaxing. I guess knowing that is my eternal destination makes me relax. I could contemplate it more over a sweedish massage, maybe that should be my birthday gift from my wife?

"O Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do?" (Deut 3:24)