I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

19 April 2008

compassion. laughter. holiness.

Recently, both His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Emeritus of Cape Town, South Africa Desmond Tutu were in Seattle for Seeds of Compassion, a 5-day event centering on working toward cross-cultural communication and addressing differences through collaborative problem-solving.

"All of us have this gift," said Tutu, facing the Dalai Lama. "We see here an incarnation of goodness. How can you be 50 years into exile and still maintain this bubbly joyousness?"

The message they brought with them to Seattle runs deep. Words like compassion and communication and understanding and collaboration are not just words with them. I think their lives and their friendship prove that.

There's something inspiring in their message and in their playful friendship. One man has been in exile for over fifty years. The other dealt first hand with the reality and the aftermath of apartheid. Neither has been dealt an easy hand.

And I guess what has me thinking on this and posting this here is that I think there's plenty I can learn from that. Though from very divergent spiritual beliefs, there is something potent and powerful about witnessing true respect for the dignity and humanity of another, about enduring hardship with joy, and about loving across political, cultural, and religious divides.

It's humbling. And it sounds like Jesus.

For a short (and funny) video clip of the two in action, click here. For a good article, click here.

Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu: AP Photo

10 comments:

terri said...

i seriously love these two men (even though the dalai lama did create a personality test that pissed off tammy...i forgive him for that.) and i think you're right. we can learn a lot from them. i love it when two human beings can disagree about something (even something deeply important to them) and still treat one another with kind regard and even love. i wish there were more examples of this.

christianne said...

i'm so glad you posted this, kirsten. i loved reading that quote underneath the picture, and the picture gave me a smile, too. both men radiate such peacefulness and joy, don't they?

i agree with terri: i love it when people can come together like this, without fear or disdain -- rather, with fullness and great care and laughter!

did you get to attend any portion of this conference live? how cool that this was taking place right near you!

by the way, carl posted something that runs along similar lines -- being able to talk with and respect and learn from and collaborate with those of different belief systems than our own -- on his blog today, which you may find thought-provoking, as well.

Caleb said...

Kirsten I love how you don't open yourself to the world with an open mind. I makes me think of the last line that you wrote. It IS humbling and it does sound a lot like Jesus. I have been trying to read as much as I can about the Dalai Lama and the way that he approaches life and the Tibet issues that are so large in the press. I agree with you that it is so very Jesus like. This could spark a whole new conversation that we can get into at another time.

kirsten said...

terri - i think you hit the nail on the head. it is amazing when two men who disagree about something so deeply important to them both can maintain such a deep friendship. there is so much to learn from these two.

christianne - i went to check out carl's post. WOW!! he even spoke of the same event. i didn't get to attend the conference, but am so happy to know that just a short drive away from me, all this was going on.

caleb - i think it's so cool that we even have these two to look to: living out love in front of the whole world. so humbling to witness.

Sarah said...

Desmond Tutu is so cool! I assume the Dalai Lama is, too, and it's some immaturity in me that imagines the Andean animal dressed up in a bonnet with a bottle (like a doll) every time I hear his name. My own silliness aside, it's cool to see them sitting there, all elderly and shriveling and saying these really cool things about how we could all live.

christianne said...

dude, sarah, i totally picture the same thing every time i hear his name! how funny, huh? i guess i'm not as alone in my silliness as i thought. i'd say i've got pretty great company there. :)

Anonymous said...

Kirsten
oh my gosh. i just popped over here and i know you are serious about this post and the rest of the gang too. I just can't help but chuckle.

I don't know if you read my offensive post on the Dalai Lama. I'm sorry kirsten for my carnality in reading this post, i can't get over the post i popped up over that and here you are putting up this really respectable post.

Forgive me i have a whole different spin on the Dalai Lama. My bad!

Caleb said...

I just watched the video clip and am still chuckling. A friendship like that is such a valuable thing. I would love to just hang out with those two laugh it up. I could just watch them and they way that they interact the whole time with out ever uttering a word.

It makes me think about the mens retreat this weekend and we focused on friends for an evening. It was alarming how many of those men couldn't divulge every aspect of their life to another man and feel safe about it. I'm heart broken for the men out here who are to proud to just let it all go and laugh these two do and just be themselves. Thanks for sharing it, I'll pass it on to a few people if you don't mind....I could probably get away with a lot right now.

Caleb said...

I just watched the video clip and am still chuckling. A friendship like that is such a valuable thing. I would love to just hang out with those two laugh it up. I could just watch them and they way that they interact the whole time with out ever uttering a word.

It makes me think about the mens retreat this weekend and we focused on friends for an evening. It was alarming how many of those men couldn't divulge every aspect of their life to another man and feel safe about it. I'm heart broken for the men out here who are to proud to just let it all go and laugh these two do and just be themselves. Thanks for sharing it, I'll pass it on to a few people if you don't mind....I could probably get away with a lot right now.

L.L. Barkat said...

Maybe even not seeing a divide, but rather an enticing bridge...

the picture itself speaks to their connection!