I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

12 August 2008

reflections on job: part 1 {the measure of suffering}

About a week ago, I read the book of Job in one sitting: the entire book, from start to finish. I've never read it that way prior to that day and now I'm convinced that it's a narrative that needs and begs to be read as such. Perhaps it's because I had eyes to see it and because I had the time to absorb it all in one sitting, but now I see things there that I've missed before.

I am always reluctant to draw any comparisons between myself and Job. It's a tough act to follow, isn't it? The man loses all his material wealth, property, his family, and his servants in a matter of sentences and barely a breath later, is afflicted from boils and sores from head to toe. His life is utterly devastated within the first two of forty-two chapters. And yet he famously praises God in the midst of his profound losses (The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised, 1:20). When his wife tells him to curse God and die, Job holds fast and replies, Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble? (2:10). All this while scraping sores from his body with a piece of broken pottery.

Lord, have mercy.

Anything I relegate to the category of "suffering" in my life hardly measures up to what this man experienced in such a short amount of time. But maybe that's where I need to stop myself: the minute I start quantifying suffering and deem my experience smaller or less significant, I cut off a pathway by which the wisdom offered in those forty-two chapters might gain admittance to my heart. I risk missing the point entirely. I may put a roadblock on the path by which I might gain to insight or find a specific and fitting grace for my soul.

Suffering cannot be quantified or compared; I cannot measure with any objectivity the loss and grief I experience against that of another -- even Job. When I try to measure suffering, I make it less than it is. And we all know that when you're in the thick of it, weighted down by worries and grief and darkness and loss and impossible questions, there is no bottom to the grief. You can never find the end of it.

Perhaps it's a tool of the enemy to have us thinking that our suffering is worthless, or that we are simply too weak and that is why it's so hard for us. We're really not all that righteous, are we? Aren't we just getting what we deserve? If God really loved us, He would have stopped any of this from happening.

And so on, and so on.

Truth is, regardless of how much I'm going through or how bad it is, I'm asking some of the same questions Job did. Offering some of the same defenses. Wondering what God is up to when it seems like the losses are compounding and will never end. Hurting like crazy and finding no salve in sight. Wondering if this is my life forever, if this is what the faithful can expect from a loving God. Sitting in the ashes, picking at my wounds with broken things.

So I ignored the enemy's voice, and I opened the book of Job.

5 comments:

christianne said...

Sitting in the ashes, picking at my wounds with broken things.

Ouch. This line made me flinch. I felt your suffering most intensely with this one line. It made me want to cradle you in softness and gentleness and sure protection.

I love when you do series. I always feel myself tucking in for a really good journey that makes me think and feel profoundly.

I needed to read this today. I've been walking in a weird, cloudy, silty few days, and I've been hearing that same voice that says this suffering is worthless, that I'm simply too weak, that this is hard because I'm too weak. It helps to hear that this is really the voice of the enemy, spoken to me in my own voice so that it is cleverly -- and so effectively -- disguised. I find myself berating myself with pottery shards, striking myself on the head and demanding that I just get over it, smarten up, stiffen up, and be better.

Ugh.

My friend Hannah, a few years ago, was the first person in my life that really helped me know what it means not to minimize my suffering in the light of another's. She has been through some pretty hard stuff, and when I was facing extreme panic attacks as a result of my job, she is someone who helped me sit still, look her full in the eyes, and hear that I cannot compare my suffering with hers, that each person's suffering is comparable only with themselves, that it is not a gradated scale. Suffering is suffering. There's no need to justify or defend our own.

Sounds similar to what you found here in the pages of Job. And you're right: hard act to follow. I love what you've taken from it, for starters, here in these words . . . thanks for sharing the encouragement not to cut ourselves off from the start from the wealth of wisdom and comfort this man's experience can offer to ours.

Sarah said...

I read this and I'm reminded of so many people I've sat with, myself included, who feel like they should buck up and get on with life because "it's not so bad."

Wait. Stop. Sit with it.

But how often do we do that? Because in our lives, if there's any possible way you can manage to be "ok," there's a list three miles long of things to see and do and attend. Unfortunately, we so often forget to check and see if we're really ok first (and I don't think I know a word that can be more finely nuanced than "ok") and jump into the list. If we can do the list, then we must be ok, right? But it doesn't work that way, and in avoiding the ashes and the broken things we slowly and inexorably tear ourselves limb from limb.

I also thought of the song "Blessed be the name of the Lord," and how often we sing it without thinking of Job's preceding words (I don't know if it shows up anywhere else without them...probably): "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away." I can't help but wonder how church would change if we sang those, too.

di said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
di said...

a really good book to go along with reading this Biblical book of epic poetry is Is God To Blame-Beyond Pat Answers to the Problem of Suffering. Chapter 4 deals specifically with the Book of Job. an excerpt:

One of the central points of this profound books is to expose the shallowness of popular theolgy. When God shows up to reveal the truth at the end of the book (Job 37-41), he doesn't concede that what happened to Job had anything to do with discipline or punishment. Indeed, God angrily rebukes Job's friends for speaking erroneously about God (Job 42:7).

When God sets the record straight, providing us with a three-chapter climax of this book, he corrects the thinking of both Job and his friends (Job 38-41). Job passes his test not because his theology is correct but because he does not reject God even when his theology tells him he should. Despite his theological misconceptions and impious rantings, Job's heart remains honest with God. His friends' theology usually sounds much more pious, but their hearts are actually further from God than Job's.


I'll stop there and let my words be few. Except to say, kirsten, you have a heart like Job's and it is deeply and authentically beautiful, to us and, no doubt, to God.

ilse said...

Thank you for your words - I've been going through some tough stuff lately, and thinking "oh, this isn't really that bad as compared with...." I appreciate how you talked about the importance of not "shutting off" our sufferings by comparing them to others. My mom had some great wisdom last week when she reminded that when we don't just "be" with the suffering, we don't get to move through it, and actually stay stuck where we are. Sometimes we just need to be with the feelings, not trying to push them away, and not trying to "fix" them.

Love you dear friend