I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

28 October 2008

repentance

Many of you know that I'm in the process of picking up my life here in Bellingham in order to move to the Seattle area, roughly 100 miles south of my current home. This means a lot of things -- not only has this meant I'm away from the blogs while I get things ready for the big move, but I'm also in the process of preparing myself for my new home. Part of that is checking out new churches.

While I still intend to remain committed to Christ the King church in Bellingham, I am in the process of checking out churches in my new area. I am aware that the day will likely come when commuting to Bellingham no longer makes sense and God calls me to become more fully integrated into church life in my new community. I've been listening to sermons online from Mars Hill Church, which has several campuses in the greater Seattle area and have gotten hooked on the most recent sermon series on the Song of Songs.

While there's only so much you can tell about a church from a podcast, I can tell you that if this is the teaching I can count on every week, then I can count on teaching that is solid, biblical, and aims straight for the heart (and maybe sometimes the jugular). It's straight from the word of God and is as convicting as ... well, you know.

This is the most recent sermon in the series on the Song of Songs that talks about confession and repentance in the context of relationships (specifically the marriage relationship). I cannot begin to describe how this series has taught me, convicted me, dug to the bottom of my soul, and inspired me to check this place out in person soon.

Note: the video is about 70 minutes, but worth every bit of it.


5 comments:

Cameron Watters said...

Obviously, selecting a church is a very personal endeavor, so others' opinions come with a very large grain of salt.

That said, Betsy and I have enjoyed Mark's preaching for over a year now. We had a chance to attend services at the Ballard campus a few weeks ago when they kicked off the latest series and loved it.

Were we to relocate to King Co. and need to find a new church home, Mars Hill would be at the top of our list.

Sarah said...

I think I've heard good things about that church...and the sermon was fab. I'm so excited thinking of you with a church home in Seattle!

christianne said...

Very cool, Kirst. And you are SO LUCKY to get a chance to visit (and maybe become a full-time member of!) Mars Hill Church. Kirk and I would love to do that.

Which reminds me . . . we're thinking a visit to Seattle is in our not-too-distant future. Perhaps next spring? Not sure yet, but you know I'll be looking to spend good quality Kirsten time when we come -- and we'll definitely want to visit Mars Hill! :)

kirsten said...

cam
as someone who has already been there in person, that opinion means a lot. but you're right ... the search for a church is one that should admit the opinions of others carefully. i had heard a lot of things about mars hill, of course, but really had no idea what the church was like or what it was about. i'm glad now that i have a better idea, and that i have a good opinion to take into consideration.

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

sarah
i'm definitely warming up more to the idea of going to church in the seattle area. and yeah, the sermons don't pull any punches at all. i love that!! shoot straight with me, please.

christianne
SQUEAL!!!! i'm so excited to hear that you & kirkum are contemplating a trip to seattle!! i'd be so excited to see you again and to share my new life with you both. :o)

Scott R. Davis said...

glad that you are looking forward to Mars Hill maybe and that God is teaching you well.
May you do well in your search as well.