I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

19 November 2008

exposed

I do not like who I see sometimes when I get a full look at her.

The person you see is fairly tame and in these online spaces is mostly well-behaved. She's rational about the things that trouble her deeply and though you hear her heart ache from time to time, she's mostly able to keep it together.

As these layers are burned away, I see someone else entirely. Skin and muscle peeled back, nerve endings exposed and raw, I have been coming to see who she really is -- the red and throbbing life underneath it all.

She knows trials and troubles are promised, and she knows she should endure these things as discipline. A move away from family, friends, and familiarity and mysterious health issues are refining her soul. She knows she's being taught to trust deeply in the Giver and not in the gifts themselves. She observes what she perceives to be the ease and happiness of others and thanks God for how He's blessing them.

Truth is, she loves the gifts more than the One who gives them. Trials, tedious and prolonged, have worn her down like water over a rock and make her doubt what she knows: not that He exists, but if He is good. She pouts and pines away in the hopes that she will somehow get her way. She wonders what she has done to get here (is it punishment? does she inhabit God's blind spot?) and what she could do to escape. She has considered that if it meant her circumstances would improve, she would turn her back, give it all up and try something new. She wonders what kind of God has the power to heal, but withholds it from her. She knows that He counts her tears, but protests that she'd rather not have a reason to cry them in the first place.

She is not as devoted and faith-filled as she thought she was. She is selfish and proud, desiring above all else her own comfort and happiness. She fears that this is all there is, that this is as good as it's going to get, and that she had just better get used to it.

Every time she thinks the last layer has been pulled away, He finds another, peeling it back easily as the skin of an onion. It seems to her that there is nothing left, no covering for her nakedness. And so her insides are turned out and her raw nerve-endings are exposed, unprotected. She is totally exposed, entirely vulnerable even to the most infinitesimal threat. She is afraid. He is, after all, the One who burned away her layers of protection. Will He protect her now?

She does not know what He will do next, or how He will be with her, but she knows for sure that she is something truer now than she was before. It burns and it stings, but it occurs to her: this is what changing feels like; this is the business of being made new.

6 comments:

christianne said...

Wow, Kirsten. That is entirely powerful. It was different to read your words about yourself in third person, almost like a short story, except I knew it was a true one, about you.

Those last two paragraphs gave me goosebumps and made my heart hurt for you. This continuous waiting and leaning in must be the hardest thing of all in the face of so much darkness and pain. And yet you continue to do it, almost as if He won't let you go and so you can't, or almost as though your convictions about Him are so deep that they muster through the wanting to leave even still.

Either way, it's hard to watch and must be excruciating to endure.

I was reading Psalm 44 this week. It's about Israel walking through a dark night and having no idea why God has hidden his face, banging on His chest to turn toward them again because they have been faithful all along. I thought of that psalm as I read your words here.

Love you, friend.

Sarah said...

I see her and I love her. The more I see of her, the more I love.

Christianne's right--it's cool to hear your story like this. I also liked the POV shift.

There's so much in your heart...I hear it and feel it in your words...and yet you're still standing, and I love that about you.

Anonymous said...

I can't possibly write as profoundly as you do...but I had to write SOMEthing..and tell you how much this post moved me..and how much I identified with it...I printed it off from work..and took it home and read to my mother over the phone..long distance...b/c it felt like I could have written it myself...our situations are THAT similar...

At one point I wrote some poetry about it..perhaps I'll send that to your email...

But most importantly..I wanted to say....no matter how you might FEEL inside...please know and believe that God is using you in tremendous ways....if nothing else...just the way this post moved and changed me inside....

So..though it's not enough...

Thank you...

Tamara

Caleb said...

I remember talking to you on the phone night after you'd had a full out tantrum. I believe that you were actually kicking and pounding the floor. You told me all about it tearfully...and this is what being human is all about. Don't forget that there has only been one perfect human to walk the face of the earth and we don't even know about the first 30 years or so of His life.

Be human, it is rough sometimes but it is always a gift. I don't think that this has escaped you one bit.

L.L. Barkat said...

Never as devoted and faith-filled as we thought we were. And that... that seems like a beginning...

Anonymous said...

Change is hard. But the caterpillar never quit, accepted her destiny and become a butterfly. I believe you will emerge from this time and discover how strong you are and that God has been with all along. I know it is during those times I do not feel Him, that He is making plans. And always, and in all ways, those plans turn out to be better than I could have imagined.