I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

10 April 2009

a poem for good friday {2009}

Good Friday


I remember.
Thick spikes,
wooden crossbeams.
A circle of thorns.
Agony. Blood.

I have nothing to add
that you have not heard;
my voice harmonizes
with the chorus of remembrance:

my sin
your love
my hate
your love
my pride
your love
my rejection
your love

And I forget.
My skin is too thick
and I over fond of my calluses,
numb and hard and yellow.

I pray:
like the heavy curtain,
rend my heart in two
let your blood flood the crevices,
and proclaim:
“It is finished.”

Enter
my holy of holies.

6 comments:

christianne said...

... amen.

Tamara said...

I was SO excited to see a new post from you !!

I check every few days..because your writing is such a great blessing and inspiration to me..

I hope to see many more posts soon!

May you have a wonderfully peaceful Easter

Tamara/Missouri

Sarah said...

Love this...such a blessing!

Scott R. Davis said...

terrific poem!!!!!! I wrote an easter poem on maundy thursday. it is at www.scottrdavis.blogspot.com

May peace be with you and your friends and family. scott

Caleb said...

This made my night. Thanks, it's good to see your writings again. See you soon!

Joelle said...

... your love. Bookends for everything in between. your love ... Yes!