I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

03 March 2008

a heart more his

Here I am, God; I sit before you again with open hands. Sometimes they are all I have to offer you when the words just don't come, when they bubble out of my heart and get stuck in my throat. I've been choking on them again. I know you know these words even when my mouth is unable to put a shape around them, to put air behind them and let them out. So here I sit, cross-legged on the bedroom floor, Indian style. Open hands resting on my knees. Tears come freely.

This is all I have sometimes.

Just a few weeks ago, I brought you my heart and held it in these same open hands, feeling as though it was something tattered and dripping, not a little bit shredded. I wondered aloud what you might have for this place that has been empty so long, this place I have prayed so many times to be filled. You always told me no, not now and I confess I felt punished at times, wondered if you were playing a joke. I had grown weary of your no, at the stratum of your no's over the years and I found myself unable to pretend with you. I wondered if you always intended it to feel this dry and empty, if you intended for my heart to collapse in upon itself. And then for the first time, I asked you: what might you have instead?

You wasted no time in answering.

And poetry happened, and then the writer's conference; every day was something new. I won't forget when I woke up with your words in me and I let them come, feeling possessed by you, being overcome in mind and in body; you infused yourself in my fingers and the confession poured out. You are inviting me to step out into the open air daily: nothing around me or under me, just your voice whispering: go. And so I go, stepping out into the air. I can't comprehend the adventure before me.

And then something flitted before my eyes that I thought I wanted; I extended my hand and let it rest on my finger. I turned my hand and contemplated it from different angles. And then the most amazing thing happened: I said no. And I was able to say it with clarity and conviction as your yes takes root in me, but not without some tears. I am new at this. Unexpected. That word is on my lips frequently these days.

So I let it go and let the wind carry it away, my heart too entirely full of you for regret, unfolding and letting you in. Old things are dying and new things sprouting to life, blooming and fluorishing, deeply rooted in a freshly churned soil. Vibrant, alive; unexpected. Doubt is edged out, water is flowing through the desert.

Open hands, resting on my knees. The tears still come. But there is joy too, effervescent and bubbling up uncontainable. There is some death in this becoming: things familiar and comfortable are lifted from these open hands, things deeply molded to the shape of my grip. I turn over this new thing you've placed in my palms, wondering. Marvelling, receiving myself from you.

This heart is more yours.


tulip photo by kirsten.michelle

5 comments:

christianne said...

what a beautiful prayer, kirsten girl. i can hear your voice in sacred spaces, offering this prayer into the space only he contains.

i am still sitting wide-eyed with you, friend, at the unravelling of all these plans he has unfolded for you in this past short month. a month! can you believe that's all it's been since that fateful thursday we spent here together?? it seems that your feet began walking briskly forward from that day, then skipping, then stopping to pick up a colored stone, then jogging again on the path. soon you will be running full-force and free. i already see it coming ahead. you had a smile open wide on your face, and you are looking full into his wonderful face.

last night was precious. i'm holding it close, that conversation and that prayer. thank you for trusting me in your deep heart spaces. i love you, kindred friend of my heart. and ever-increasingly proud of the woman that you are and are continuing to become.

Anonymous said...

Kirsten
You are so beautiful, i can see you sitting in the floor before God offering your heart as a sacrifice. I can relate to this title, a heart more His. I am kinda in this place myself. Offering more of me to God. I am weary of bringing Him goats, and calves, old things have passed away, it is now time to sacrifice me.

Hebrews said Jesus, for the joy set before Him, He endured the cross. It is interesting that Jesus had a glimpse of His final outcome that made Him look beyond the pain of the cross.

I was listening to a sermon the other day by Greg Boyd. He was talking about envisioning yourself at the foot of the cross, seeing Jesus bleeding and dying, knowing you should be the one hanging there. Looking into His eyes and seeing a look of complete love, complete mercy, and being embraced by Jesus, as your sin is being nailed to His cross right before your eyes.

As i am writing, i can still see that vision in my mind, still hear this mans words ringing in my ears. His words were so alive that i am fighting back tears while i am typing.

My whole point in saying all of that is, when we look into the eyes of Jesus, when look intently with an open heart to the cross, all we can see is love, there is nothing else to behold. In light of this i still doubt God sometimes, i begin to doubt His love for me, particularly when he tells me no that i can't have something that i want, not just want but have a deep down desire for.

I am finally beginning to breathe in that no with a note of surrender. I have never been at a vulnerable place like that before. I have always ran from God's no or demanded my way at His no. Now for the first time i am trying to hear His no with a note of acceptance rather than resentment, being compelled by the cross, looking into His heart of perfect love believing that He is a good father and no good and perfect gift will He ever withhold from me. God can only give me that which is perfect for me.

I so love your heart Kirsten it so beautiful.

Sarah said...

I've had this window open for a while now and I still don't know what to say. this was beautiful. exquisite. I want to hold it up to Jesus as a silent offering.

I don't have many words...but this is full of love and joy and hope.

Walking with you...

terri said...

sounds like we all have death on our minds lately, death to self, death to desires, and that ultimate death that comes to all of us, and if we're thinking of it in our right minds, that wrestles away our idols and directs our attention to life, real life. it calls us to be that living sacrifice, so amazing. thank you kirsten. bless you.

Jessica said...

I had only read a couple posts on your other blog, and finally made time to come to this one and wander around for a bit. You have a way of painting beautiful pictures with words. I love it!! But, all of the images fail in comparison to the honesty of your heart. It's been such a journey for me to get to the place where I can put myself out there (for the entire world to possibly read! ACK!) I appreciate your honesty and humility so much. It's almost as if I can recall moments of my own journey in your words. Moments of God's faithfulness, his provision, his passion for us!! Oh! it's amazing!
I can't wait to read more, old and new, and I can't wait to see where our father takes us! You're a blessing to us, Kirsten, and just another reminder of the mysterious workings of the Lord.
Be blessed and have a wonderful weekend!