I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

24 May 2008

becoming empty

God cannot fill what is full. He can fill only emptiness -- deep poverty -- and your "Yes" is the beginning of being or becoming empty. It is not how much we really "have" to give -- but how empty we are -- so that we can receive fully in our life and let Him live His life in us.

Mother Teresa
qtd. from a letter in Come Be My Light

4 comments:

Sarah said...

What an awesome quote! And I find it a little...scary? coincidental?...that I've been thinking of trying to find this book lately. K-girl, we're still on the same page.

Love you.

kirsten said...

i think we are, sarah. and as unpleasant as the becoming empty is, it is a comfort to know that it is happening so we can receive more of Jesus, to be more of Jesus wherever, whoever we are.

love you, girl!

terri said...

i know empty. at least, i'm beginning to understand what it means to give myself over to it...to let go little by little.

kirsten said...

me too, terri. just beginning ...