I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

14 May 2008

quietness & rest

blossoms

There are other souls who labour and weary themselves to a piteous extent, and yet go backward, seeking profit in that which is not profitable, but is rather a hindrance; and there are still others who, by remaining at rest and in quietness, continue to make great progress.

St John of the Cross ~ The Ascent of Mount Carmel



blossoms photo by kirsten.michelle

8 comments:

christianne said...

you are on the right path, my friend. you can take encouragement from these pilgrims who have gone before you, centuries and centuries ago.

love you . . .

Sarah said...

Love you.

And I know it's been a long, long day because I see your post and Christianne's comment and all I can think is..."We're following the leader, the leader, the leader...we're following the leader, wherever he might go."

;)

terri said...

i certainly hope this is true. i'm holding onto it for dear life.

kirsten said...

christianne - thank you, friend. it means much to me to have you here with me in this place.

sarah - thank you. funny how following can mean sitting still, isn't it?

terri - i'm counting on it too. this is frickin' driving me NUTS! hope you're getting lots of rest. ;o)

Jen said...

I LOVE the photo in this post.

Thanks for sharing it.

Scott R. Davis said...

we are focusing on the discipline of solitude and silence. Kind of hard to do. May God's peace be with you.

di said...

oh my goodness, and then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud ... what a beautiful picture, i'm going to go look at it some more. you are beautiful inside out.

L.L. Barkat said...

Hard to sit still though, isn't it? [from one runner to another :) ]