I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Abba of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery.

Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust

peder & annie's baby

pregnancy due date

07 June 2008

the psalms of david

Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in the miry depths,
where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
the floods engulf me.
I am worn out calling for help;
my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
looking for my God.

[69:1-3]


I’ve been spending some time in the Psalms lately. David’s songs are potent, earthy, and raw; the words heavy-laden with anger and fear and sin and confession and blood and tears on the one hand, and ecstatic, elated with praise and joy and dancing on the other.

In his darker moments, I can imagine David on his hands and knees, digging up earth with his fingernails, chest heaving with sobs that threaten to make his sternum collapse, thick threads of spittle hanging from his mouth; he grips and tears at his hair; he presses the heels of his palms into his eyes, he scratches at his face. His throat becomes raw, his lips gummy. His cries come from a depth he cannot plumb and are swallowed by the emptiness around him.

For troubles without number surround me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails within me.

[40:12]

We all know the story of the boy-turned-king, the warrior, the one God had hand-picked. We know the story of how he slew the giant with a rock and sling; we are familiar with his dalliance with Bathsheba. We’ve read of his enemies and how madly they pursued him, thirsty for blood.

Too often I’ve lost the heart of the man in the stories I’ve heard a hundred times; the flesh and blood human being is reduced to a caricature, a mere stick-figure. Familiarity turns those words ripped from his chest and dripping with his tears and blood into dead things, dry and stale, scattered on the wind like dust. But seasoned with my own tears, I find his songs new and fresh with a kind of life. David’s songs give me permission to be desolate, weary, tired, and questioning. Even the man after God’s own heart found himself wading in mire, his heart failing. He found himself overtaken and drowning, shackled to his sins and failures, weighted with grief. There were times he couldn’t see God at all.

Yet from this same heart, he was also able to say:

I will exalt you, my God the King;
I will praise your name for ever and ever.
Every day I will praise you
and extol your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;
his greatness no one can fathom.

[145:1-2]

While the depths of his grief might seem to contrast sharply with his ecstatic exclamations of joy and praise, both were poured out of the same heart. David permitted himself to experience fully both bottomless despair and ecstatic, effusive rejoicing. He did not hide any of it from God or attempt to sanctify his experience, but allowed the truth of his heart gush forth whether it came out of a chest that was ready to cave in, or from one that felt weightless and winged.

And I find myself wondering if I can do the same: not simply to trust in his presence and goodness when my eyes are red and puffy, when my blood boils underneath my skin, when I’m clawing at the earth with my fingernails, but also to explode in praise, to commend His goodness when I feel as though I'm being crushed.

I do not know whether we need to experience the infinity of grief in order to know its counterpart in joy, but I do know this: David’s heart held the breadth of it and did not seek to contain it, this heart that was said to be like God’s own.

And that is truth I can grab onto.

7 comments:

di said...

you take me there kirsten, every time.

my favorite psalm...

42:11 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.

Sarah said...

Thanks for these thoughts, Kirsten. I love the image of David not trying to contain all that's in his heart, knowing that God cannot be contained.

The Psalms have been my friends, too. I've wondered if David felt some of what I feel when I wonder how I can simultaneously hold parts of me that doubt and don't understand and wonder if denying God would be better, all around, and parts that want to worship and praise and rejoice with reckless abandon.

Love to you, in your depths and in your heights.

ilse said...

I love the Psalms - Psalm 18 became such a powerful force for me numerous years ago, and I love it to this day.

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my strong hold. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies"

To this day, I read these verses, and am reminded of God being my only true refuge. That He doesn't necessarily take away the storms, but is our refuge during them.

Love you my friend

L.L. Barkat said...

Okay, off topic here. I went back to my email, only to find a comment that you'd just left at Seedlings. And it tickled me to realize that you were reading me there, even as I was over here reading you. There's something sweet about that simple convergence. :)

Anonymous said...

My mom taught me about some meaningful psalms of David while I was helpless to know answers to certain questions that aroused within me. Thanks for this post. It’s meaningful.

christianne said...

sigh.

i'm with di: you take me there every time.

i know you are feeling this deep, my friend. you put skin and muscles and bones on this man and his psalms, and you release the spirit breath that God put in them.

love you.

terri said...

i love the humanness of the psalms...the uncensoredness of them. i love that they give me permission to be exactly where i am (wherever that happens to be). they reassure me that i can be a whole person in God's presence, rather than a fragmented and edited version of myself. sometimes i think that the passion we are allowed when we're sad or angry or confused gives us space to feel passion when we're on the other side of our grief. love you dear...